Surface Sediment Sampling and Measurement
HOMEWORK #2 IS DUE TODAY AT THE BEGINNING OF CLASS
- Surface sediment sampling methods
- Basic properties of sediment
- Where and how much to sample
- Different methods for sampling sediment
- Surface sediment flux measurement methods
- Pages 101-105 of Chapter 7
- "Techniques for the measurement of surface-water erosion processes on slopes". In Chapter 4 of Goudie, A. et al. 1990. Geomorphological Techniques, 2nd edition Unwin Hyman Ltd., London, UK. p. 251-256.
- Here are some useful references:
- 1) Kondolf, G. M. and Li, S. 1992. The pebble count technique for quantifying surface bed material size in instream flow studies. Rivers 3:2:80-87.
- 2) Marcus, W. A., Ladd, S. C., Stoughton, J. A., Stock, J. A. 1995. Pebble counts and the role of user-dependent bias in documenting sediment size distributions. Water Resources Research 31:10:2625-2631.
- 3) Murdroch, A. and Azcue, J. M. 1995. Manual of aquatic sediment sampling. Lewis Publishers, Boca Raton, FL, 219pp.
Related web links:
Video Podcast: Surface Sediment Sampling and Measurement, Part 1
This 34-minute presentation explains some of the basic properties of sediment as well as how and where to collect sediment samples from terrestrial and aquatic surfaces.
- 640 x 480 (480p) format that balances speed and quality. (373 MB file)
- 1920 x 1280 (HD) format that provides larges size and best quality. (3.2 GB file)
Video Podcast: Surface Sediment Sampling and Measurement, Part 2
This 29-minute presentation presents numerous methods for measuring erosion and deposition in flux units of length, volume, and mass per time.
- 640 x 480 (480p) format that balances speed and quality. (365 MB file)
- 1920 x 1280 (HD) format that provides larges size and best quality. (3.4 GB file)