In this Section: Instructor TA Info Grading Policy Syllabus Readings Online TA Help Field Safety In this Section: Chapter 1 Chapter 2 Chapter 3 Chapter 4 Assignment 1 Chapter 5 Chapter 6 Assignment 2 Chapter 7 Chapter 8 Chapter 9 Assignment 3 Chapter 10 Chapter 11 Chapter 12 Chapter 13 Chapter 14 Assignment 4 Chapter 15 Chapter 16 Chapter 16b Chapter 17 Field Equipment Showcase Chapter 18 Chapter 19 Chapter 20 Chapter 21 Chapter 22 Chapter 23 Chapter 24 Course Review
- Why the need for historical analysis?
- Monitoring only occurs over a short period, whereas hydrological processes may occur over long periods.
- Things that appear as they do now may have been totally different in the past.
- Episodic disturbances may be important but may not be observed during the proposed field monitoring campaign.
- Impact of present human uses may depend on historic uses.
- Identification of historic pathways provide indications of future pathways.
- Objective of historical analysis
- Understand the underlying problem.
- Establish realistic goals for proposed/future field work.
- Select appropriate study framework and measurement techniques.
- Drainage basin delineation- click here for example
- Overview of Homework #1
- Data Sources for carrying out historical analysis
- Chapter 6
- Here are some useful references:
- 1) Kondolf, G.M., and M. Larson. 1995. Historical channel analysis and its application to riparian and aquatic habitat restoration. Aquatic Conservation 5:109-126.
- 2) Alexander, R.B., Slack, J.R., Ludtke, A.S., Fitzgerald, K.K., Schertz, T.L. 1998. Data from selected U.S. Geological Survey national stream water quality monitoring networks.Water Resources Research 34:9:2401-2405.
- Paper topographic maps can also be purchased in Sacramento at the following stores:
- Recreation Equipment, Inc., 1790 Expo Pkwy (916-924-8900)
- California Surveying Drafting Supply Inc., 4733 Auburn Blvd (916-344-0232)
Related web links:
- Example of historical analysis
- Is historical analysis used in government? EPA Watershed Analysis and Management (WAM) framework uses it
- Is historical analysis used in the consulting and non-profit sector? The San Francisco Estuary Institute has an entire division dedicated to historical ecology
- Here is an example of a scientific approach to historical analysis done to investigate centennial to millenia watershed sediment fluxes
- Check out this movie of Population growth in the San Francisco Bay area
- Check out these graphics showing the historic spread of urbanization over the landscape in Baltimore, MD, the larger Baltimore-Washington, DC metropolitan region, or Chicago, IL.
Notice the radial lines that indicate the construction of major pathways out of the city. These spurred "satellite" urban development in the region.
- Hydrology Data Sources:
- Instead of compiling a complete listing of everything out there on the web, I present the most important web sites for hydrology in general and as related to this class in particular.
- Federal GovernmentGIS & Map Data
- National Map Viewer and Download Platform- zoom in on study site and get any and all publicly available data at the national level
- USGS San Fransisco Bay Area Regional Database-includes historical digitized topo maps (DRGs), digital elevation data (DEMs), and other historical files that may not be available on the National Map Viewer.
- Water Resources of the U.S.- This is the motherlode for all data hydrological at the national level.
- National Climatic Data Center- THis is the place for weather and climate data, including historical precipitation records at the national level.
State and Local Government
- Dreamflows- real-time streamflow data for the western U.S. including site not available through any other means
Video Podcast: Historical Analysis
This 38-minute presentation explains the different styles of hydrological behavior revealed through historical analysis as well as several different approaches to getting at this.
- 640 x 480 (480p) format that balances speed and quality. (543 MB file)
- 1920 x 1280 (HD) format that provides larges size and best quality. (4.6 GB file)