Water in Modern American Society
- It helps a lot if you take the time to view the whole SAS004 website to get a better understanding of what the class is about and how it is organized.
- The first class meeting occurs in your discussion section on Monday afternoon. It will be led by your TA. S/he will go through course logistics and pass around the sign-up sheet for the rest of the discussion sections. Be sure to sign up for a slot.
- The first lecture and movie screening night on Wednesday will be used to jump right into a framework for conceptualizing popular culture in the rapid transition from TV to Internet 1.0 (website driven socialization) to Internet 2.0 (social media driven socialization).
- On the first Wednesday night we will screen the movie "Chinatown"
Required reading prior to attending the first movie screening:
- Look over this web site
- Niedzvieki, H. 2000. We Want Some Too. Pages 19-51.
- Niedzvieki, H. 2006. Hello, I'm Special. Pages 3-31.
Required reading after watching the first movie (Chinatown) and before the discussion section on the second Monday.
- Pages 333-355 of Chapter 10 of Cadillac Desert by M. Reisner (1993).
Movie Log for Chinatown: (due next Wednesday at 5:10 pm)
- Chinatown Word Charting Log in Powerpoint format or PDF format
- No collaboration is allowed on this homework, so be sure to submit your own answers in your own words.
Related web links:
California's Water Wars
- Peripheral canal cartoon
- Water bags for San Diego?
- Klamath river crisis
- Owens valley land/water grab
U.S. Water Wars