Water in Modern American Society
- Because the movie for this week is 2.5 hours long, the presentation is made available before in video podcast format. Please watch the video podcast at your convenience when and wherever you like using a computer or mobile device. You may pause and restart the video as your time permits, but you will learn the best if you watch it in 1 or 2 long sittings rather than in short clips.
- Screen the movie "Into The Wild"
Video Podcast: Clean Water and Functional Landscapes
The 47-minute presentation related to the movie A Civil Action is provided to you as an online streaming video podcast that you have to watch on your own. Click the play button below to begin watching. It is provided in 640 x 360 format and should be viewable on a computer, iOS device, or Android device. Look for the small play button in the bottom left of the video player window to start the streaming video.
If the streaming video player below does not work for you, then you can download the video to your computer and watch it thereafter by clicking on one of the links below. Given the size of these files and depending on the speed of your internet connection, it could take a long time to download, so one good option is to download them over night if you are using a slower connection. If you can watch it streaming, then you do not have to download a video file at all.
- 640 x 360 format that balances speed and quality. (835 MB file)
- 1080p format that maximizes video quality (4 GB)
Required readings from journal articles: (due for your discussion section)
- Zink, R. 2010. Asking 'Who are you?' when going into the wild: moving beyond an individualized form of outdoor education. Journal of Adventure Education and Outdoor Learning 10:1:19-32.
- Lehman, D. W. 2008. The Body Out There. The Stakes Of Jon Krakauer's Adventure Narratives. River Teeth: A Journal of Nonfiction Narrative 10:1-2:466-479.
Movie Log for Into The Wild: (due next Wednesday at 5:10 pm)
Related web links:
- Wikipedia entry about Christopher McCandless
- 7 people who gave up on civilization to live in the wild
- What is The "False Self"?
- What is Narcissistic Grandiosity?