Water in World Civilization
- Because the movie for this week is 3 hours long, the presentation is made available before in video podcast format. Please watch the video podcast at your convenience when and wherever you like using a computer or mobile device.
- Screen the movie "The Fast Runner"
Video Podcast: Water, War, and Poor
The 43-minute presentation related to the movie Even The Rain is provided to you as an online streaming video podcast that you have to watch on your own. Click the play button below to begin watching. It is provided in 640 x 480 (480p) format and should be viewable on a computer, iOS device, or Android device. Look for the small play button in the bottom left of the video player window to start the streaming video.
If the streaming video player below does not work for you, then you can download the video to your computer and watch it thereafter by clicking on one of the links below. Given the size of these files and depending on the speed of your internet connection, it could take a long time to download, so one good option is to download them over night if you are using a slower connection. If you can watch it streaming, then you do not have to download a video file at all.
- 640 x 480 (480p) format that balances speed and quality. (534 MB file)
Required reading from a journal article: (due for your discussion section)
- Kaltenborn, B. P. 1998. Effects of sense of place on responses to environmental impacts: A study among residents in Svalbard in the Norwegian high Arctic. Applied Geography 18:2:169-189.
Required reading in course reader: (due for your discussion section)
- Fenge, T. 2001. "The Inuit and Climate Change". Isuma 2:4:1-10.
Movie Log for The Fast Runner: (due next Wednesday at 5:10 pm)
Related web links
- Official movie website for Atanarjuat
- Isuma TV website - has The Fast Runner online for free
- Inuit History
- Inuit Encyclopedia entry
- Inuit Climate Change Observations
- Polar bear tracker!