Wetlands in the Landscape Context
- Wetland diking history
- Wetland functions and values
- hydrologic buffering
- sediment trapping
- water quality buffering
- Wetland restoration/creation methods
- Whigham, D. F., Chitterling, C., Palmer, B. 1988. Impacts of freshwater wetlands on water quality: a landscape perspective. Environmental Management 12:5:663-671. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01867544.
Related web links:
- General Information
- State-based information
- Individual restoration projects
Video Podcast: Wetlands in the Landscape Context
This 37-minute presentation defines wetland functions, values, and restoration. Then it provides case studies of human impacts on wetlands, how to assess functions, and what kinds of things can be restored.
- 640 x 480 (480p) format that balances speed and quality. (521 MB file)
- 1920 x 1280 (HD) format that provides larges size and best quality. (3.5 GB file)
USGS YouTube Video: Sea-Level Rise, Subsidence, and Wetland Loss
This 10-minute presentation explains and illustrates the science behind coastal wetland growth and loss, using the Mississippi Delta as an example.
USGS YouTube Video: Wetland Functions & Values: Hydrology
This 11-minute presentation explains the hydrological functions of wetlands. it is ok to skip the first 2 minutes that summarizes the water cycle.
USGS YouTube Video: Wetland Functions & Values: Ecology
This 11-minute presentation describes and illustrates many ecological functions of wetlands.