Your Tasks Due Today:
1. Watch the video podcasts shown below before coming to class today.
2. Complete the Video Response Canvas Quiz before coming to class today.
3. Read SWRCB. 2011. Status of California’s wadeable perennial streams (2000-2007). Management Memo. (5 pages of reading)
4. Complete the Reading Response Canvas Quiz before coming to class today.
Educational content addessed in this chapter:
- Definition and motivation
- Federal and state policies
- Case study of suspended sediment TMDL
- In-situ field measurement +
- electrical conductivity
- Dissolved ocygen
- ion specific electrodes
- suspended sediment concentration
- Sample collection considerations
- Quality assurance/quality control
- Common constitutents measured in the lab
Assignment we will work on in class today:
- We will do a group activity today exploring aquatic habitat types using California's habitat typing system
Related web links:
Video Podcast: Water Quality, Part 1
This 27-minute presentation provides some background related to water quality and how we address it as a society, including a case study related to a project I worked on some time ago with suspended sediment impairment of a river.
Note that there is an extra credit opportunity associated with this video podcast, so if you choose to do that, write up a 1-2 page explanation of your findings and give it to me.
- 640 x 480 (480p) format that balances speed and quality. (330 MB file)
- 1920 x 1280 (HD) format that provides larges size and best quality. (2.9 GB file)
Video Podcast: Water Quality, Part 2
This 38-minute presentation offers the fundamentals of using sensors to measure basic water quality parameters and constituent concentrations as well as how to sample water for later laboratory analysis.
- 640 x 480 (480p) format that balances speed and quality. (451 MB file)
- 1920 x 1280 (HD) format that provides larges size and best quality. (3.7 GB file)