Lecture 14: Landscape Evolution Models
Summary of all equations derived in class this quarter
- Tucker, G. E. and Slingerland, R. 1997. Drainage basin responses to climate change. Water Resources Research 33:8:2031-2047.
- Tucker, G. E. and Hancock, G. R. 2010. Modelling landscape evolution. Earth Surf. Process. Landforms, 35: 28-50. doi:10.1002/esp.1952
Related web links:
- The CHILD Project- Dynamic 3D Computer Simulation of Erosion, Deposition, and Landscape Evolution
- Tucker and Slingerland GOLEM model
Lecture 15: Catchment Scale Sediment Budgets
- What is a sediment budget?
- Traditional tools for estimating sediment generation
- Uplands- sheet/rill erosion (USLE method), gullying (surveying), badland development
- Valleys- streambank and streambed erosion (surveying), meandering (surveying, aerial photography)
- Reid, L. M. and Dunne, T. (2003) Sediment Budgets as an Organizing Framework in Fluvial Geomorphology, in Tools in Fluvial Geomorphology (eds G. M. Kondolf and H. Piégay), John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, Chichester, UK. doi: 10.1002/0470868333.ch16.
- Hadley, R. F. and Schumm, S. A. 1961. Sediment sources and drainage basin characteristics in Upper Cheyenne River Basin. USGS Water-Supply Paper 1531-B.
- Great reference for rUSLE: C.T. Haan, B.J. Barfield and J.C. Hayes, 8 - Erosion and Sediment Yield, In Design Hydrology and Sedimentology for Small Catchments, Academic Press, San Diego, 1994, Pages 238-310, ISBN 9780123123404, https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-08-057164-5.50012-8.
Related web links:
- General soil erosion links
- US EPA Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) program
-this site gives a nice overview of different approaches to assessing sediment sources as well as the advantages and disadvantages of each
- USDA National Sedimentation Laboratory
- Soil Erosion from Two Small Construction Sites, Dane County, Wisconsin
- EPA Best management practices for soil erosion
- Global issues in soil and water conservation presentation
- Soil Erosion in the Palouse River Basin
- International erosion control association
- Sheet erosion links
- USLE links
- Gully erosion links