In this Section: Chapter 1 Chapter 2 Chapter 3 Chapter 4 Chapter 5 Group Activity 1 Group Presentations 1 Chapter 6 Chapter 7 Chapter 8 Chapter 9 Group Activity 2 Group Presentations 2 Chapter 10 Chapter 11 Chapter 12 Chapter 13 Chapter 14 Chapter 15 Group Activity 3 Group Presentations 3 Chapter 16 Chapter 17 Chapter 18 Chapter 19 Chapter 20 Chapter 21
Introduction to Hydrology and Ecology
- Overview of what the course will offer
- Explanation of the structure of the course
- Review of hydrologic budgets
- Preface and Introduction
Related web links:
- The Hydrological Cycle Online Guide- excellent online review of basic hydrology.
- Wikipedia Basic Ecology
- Learning about the Water Cycle
- All about the water cycle- contains brief summaries of water flux terms and then a really good set of links to diverse water cycle internet resources.
Video Podcast: Introduction to Hydrology and Ecology, part 1
This first presentation introduces the course goals, teaching philosphy, and syllabus using a 14-minute video. As with all subsequent video podcasts, it is provided in a streaming 640 x 480 (480p) format and should be viewable on a computer, iOS device, or Android device. Look for the small play button in the bottom left of the video player window to start the streaming video.
All videos for this course are also available here at the course website, at the UCD video repository at http://videos.ucdavis.edu, and on YouTube. You choose where you want to watch them. The UCD videos site has closed captioning for all videos.
Different web browsers support different HTML codes, making it difficult to support all of them on this site, which is why the videos are available on 3 viewing platforms. The videos here should work for Chrome, Safari, and Internet Explorer browsers at a minimum.
As another option, you can download all videos to your computer and watch it thereafter by clicking on one of the file download links below. Usually you right click on the link and choose to save content to disk. Given the size of these files and depending on the speed of your internet connection, it could take a long time to download, so one good option is to download them over night if you are using a slower connection. If you can watch it streaming, then you do not have to download a video file at all.
- 640 x 480 (480p) format that balances speed and quality. (206 MB file)
- 1920 x 1280 (HD) format that provides larges size and best quality. (1.1 GB file)
Video Podcast: Introduction to Hydrology and Ecology, part 2
This 33-minute presentation introduces basic ideas in hydrology and ecology as well as two math concepts that you will need for the class.
- 640 x 480 (480p) format that balances speed and quality. (457 MB file)
- 1920 x 1280 (HD) format that provides larges size and best quality. (2.6 GB file)
On slides 14 and 15, I want to be clear that the terms "SM" and "depression storage" come into the water balance to the extent that they are changing. The left side of the equation is show influx and the right side outflux. Soil moisture storage and depression storage in and of themselves are not fluxes. It is when they change that there is a flux. Sometime they will go up and other times down. It is the addition or loss of water that is in the equation, not the storage itself.
If you are unable to see the video, please try: Chrome, IE or Safari.