Tropical Forest Hydrology
- Tropical versus Temperate climate and ecosystem conditions
- Definition of leaf area index (LAI)
- Interception processes
- Stemflow processes
- Canopy classification based on thoughfall regime
- Role of disturbance
- Chapter 6: Plants and Water in Forests and Woodlands (p. 202-225)
- Scatena, F. N. 1995. Relative scales of time and effectiveness of watershed processes in a tropical montane rain forest of Puerto Rica. In: Costa, J. E., Miller, A. J., Potter, K. W., and Wilcock, P. R. Natural and anthropogenic influences in fluvial geomorphology. American Geophysical Union, Geophysical Monograph 89, p. 103-111.
Related web links:
- Luquillo Experimental Forest LTER
- Erosion management in a Tropical Forest, Panama
- Leaf Area Index sites
- Normalized Difference Vegetation Index sites
Video Podcast: Tropical Forest Hydrology, part 1
This 40-minute presentation introduces a climatic zonation of Earth and works through two case studies of T, I, and F in a tropical forest at the scale of an individual tree.
- 640 x 480 (480p) format that balances speed and quality. (615 MB file)
- 1920 x 1280 (HD) format that provides larges size and best quality. (3.5 GB file)
CCM3 T170 Cloud and Precipitation Simulation
This 3.5-minute video shows a cloud and precipitation simulation of the Earth's coupled Ocean-Atmosphere-Land system. You can find more information about this video and higher resolution versions at this web link.
Video Podcast: Topical Forest Hydrology, part 2
This 21-minute presentation shows a set of studies of tropical throughfall from tree to regional scales, introduces the concept of “disturbance”, and presents the option of magnitudes and frequencies of geomorphic, hydrological, and biological tropical disturbances.
- 640 x 480 (480p) format that balances speed and quality. (284 MB file)
- 1920 x 1280 (HD) format that provides larges size and best quality. (1.6 GB file)