Water quality measurement and sampling
TAKE NOTE: MIDTERM EXAMINATION ON FRIDAY
Exam will cover all material through and including January 30, 2015.
- Definition and motivation
- Federal and state policies
- Case study of suspended sediment TMDL
- In-situ field measurement
- electrical conductivity
- Dissolved ocygen
- ion specific electrodes
- suspended sediment concentration
- Sample collection considerations
- Quality assurance/quality control
- Common constitutents measured in the lab
- Pages 141-150 and 159-160 of Chapter 9
- Chapter 16
- Here are some useful references:
- U.S. Geological Survey. 1972. Recommended methods for water-data aquisition. U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C. (Chapters iv to vi)
- Mudroch, A., Azcue, J.M., Mudroch, P. 1997. Manual of Physico-Chemical Analysis of Aquatic Sediments. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL. 287 p.
Related web links:
- USGS Office of Water Quality Field Manual
- USGS National Water-Quality Assessment Program (NAWQA)
- Methods for Biological Investigation of Water Quality
- EPA Office of Water- has all kinds of water quality information.
- Complete guide to temperature sensors
Texas Clean Rivers Program
Video Podcast: Water Quality, Part 1
This 27-minute presentation provides some background related to water quality and how we address it as a society, including a case study related to a project I worked on some time ago with suspended sediment impairment of a river.
Note that there is an extra credit opportunity associated with this video podcast, so if you choose to do that, write up a 1-2 page explanation of your findings and give it to me.
- 640 x 480 (480p) format that balances speed and quality. (330 MB file)
- 1920 x 1280 (HD) format that provides larges size and best quality. (2.9 GB file)
Video Podcast: Water Quality, Part 2
This 38-minute presentation offers the fundamentals of using sensors to measure basic water quality parameters and constituent concentrations as well as how to sample water for later laboratory analysis.
- 640 x 480 (480p) format that balances speed and quality. (451 MB file)
- 1920 x 1280 (HD) format that provides larges size and best quality. (3.7 GB file)