Water in World Civilization
- Presentation about Tropical Wilderness, Water, and Native Peoples:
- Introduction to Water Conflicts and Pro-Poor Water
- Screen the movie "Even The Rain"
Required reading in course reader: (due for your discussion section)
- Schneier-Madanes, G. 2005. "Conflicts and the Rise of Users' Participation in the Buenos Aires Water Supply Concession, 1993-2003". In (eds. Coutard, O., Hanley, R., Zimmerman, R. Sustaining Urban Networks: The Social Diffusion of Large Technical Systems, Routledge, New York), p. 151-171.
Required reading from a journal article: (due for your discussion section)
- Castro, J. E. 2007. Poverty and citizenship: Sociological perspectives on water services and public-private participation. Geoforum 38:756-771.
Movie Log for Even The Rain: (due next Wednesday at 5:10 pm)
Related web links
- Website for "Even The Rain"
- Pro-poor water issues
- International Water Wars