Water in World Civilization
- Presentation about Tropical Wilderness, Water, and Native Peoples:
- Introduction to Water Conflicts and Pro-Poor Water
- Screen the movie "Even The Rain"
Video Podcast: Communal Living at the Extremes
The 59-minute presentation related to the movie Aguirre: Wrath of God is provided to you as an online streaming video podcast that you have to watch on your own. Click the play button below to begin watching. It is provided in 640 x 480 format and should be viewable on a computer, iOS device, or Android device. Look for the small play button in the bottom left of the video player window to start the streaming video.
If the streaming video player below does not work for you, then you can download the video to your computer and watch it thereafter by clicking on one of the links below. Given the size of these files and depending on the speed of your internet connection, it could take a long time to download, so one good option is to download them over night if you are using a slower connection. If you can watch it streaming, then you do not have to download a video file at all.
- 640 x 480 (480p) format that balances speed and quality. (555 MB file)
Required reading in course reader: (due for your discussion section)
- Schneier-Madanes, G. 2005. "Conflicts and the Rise of Users' Participation in the Buenos Aires Water Supply Concession, 1993-2003". In (eds. Coutard, O., Hanley, R., Zimmerman, R. Sustaining Urban Networks: The Social Diffusion of Large Technical Systems, Routledge, New York), p. 151-171.
Required reading from a journal article: (due for your discussion section)
- Castro, J. E. 2007. Poverty and citizenship: Sociological perspectives on water services and public-private participation. Geoforum 38:756-771.
Movie Log for Even The Rain: (due next Wednesday at 5:10 pm)
Related web links
- Website for "Even The Rain"
- Pro-poor water issues
- International Water Wars