Water in World Civilization
- On your own before class, watch the online video podcast below about Human Stewardship of the Earth
- During class, discuss study guide assignment and final exam
- Screen "Day After Tomorrow"
Video Podcast: Human Stewardship of the Earth
The video podcast for the previous week was only 24-minute long, so that means there is extra time available to cover ideas for this week's topic. As a result, instead of having 1 video podcast, I have produced the material into 3 mid-length video podcasts, totaling 77 minutes. See below and click the play button to begin watching each of the three videos in order. They are provided in 640 x 480 (480p) format and should be viewable on a computer, iOS device, or Android device.
If the streaming video player below does not work for you, then you can download the video to your computer and watch it thereafter by clicking on one of the links below. Given the size of these files and depending on the speed of your internet connection, it could take a long time to download, so one good option is to download them over night if you are using a slower connection. If you can watch it streaming, then you do not have to download a video file at all.
- Part 1, biodiversity: 640 x 480 (480p) format that balances speed and quality. (353 MB file)
- Part 2, Ecosystem Restoration: 640 x 480 (480p) format that balances speed and quality. (496 MB file)
- Part 3, Comparing Yemen, highland Scotland, and California's Sierras: 640 x 480 (480p) format that balances speed and quality. (761 MB file)
Required reading from internet hosted PDF document you can freely download: (due for your discussion section)
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. 2007. "Climate Change 2007: Synthesis Report. Summary for Policymakers"
Movie Log for Day After Tomorrow: (due next Wednesday)
Related web links:
- IPCC website
- Climate Change 2001: The Scientific Basis- this is the previous assessment prior to the newer 2007 one.
- A Primer on Climate
- Ice Adventures: Tracking evidence of abrupt climate change across the tropics
- Vital Climate Graphics
- Variations in Sea Level
- CCM3 T170 Cloud and Precipitation Simulation
- NCAR climate visualizations
- NOAA climate visualizations